Sunday, April 22, 2012

Three!

I can't believe my baby is already three (and not so much a baby anymore)! Time really flies when you don't sleep. ;-)

He is such a smart little boy, and so much fun to be around--you never know what cute thing he's going to say or do. Looking at the developmental milestones for 3-4 year olds, he appears to be ahead of the game a bit in terms of gross-motor developmental: he's been navigating stairs easily by himself for a year and running very well since just after he turned one. Another area where he really stands out from other kids his age is in his verbal and cognitive development (although maybe he just seems cognitively ahead because he is SO verbal and can say what's crossing through his mind). He is probably about 75-85% understandable to other adults, and was impressing strangers in the last month by telling them not just how old he was ("Two, but I'm going to be three!") but also his birthdate ("April seckun"). He also knows his address, though it's not particularly understandable. He listens to the radio when we're in the car and asks questions about what he hears. The other day a story about underwater exploration came on and he wanted to know what they were going down to see, where it was, whether there were sharks, etc. I have a hard time answering him sometimes because he lacks the vocabulary for the concepts I'm trying to explain. Good thing for my students I teach university rather than early childhood because I don't think I'd be very good at it.

 Will's "3" shirt

He is really starting to love fantasy play now, and just about every day he becomes some kind of super hero (or a bad guy!) and fights dragons and snakes. Although he loves play fighting and wrestling, he is still a very loving boy. I still hear "I love you" multiple times a day, and he wants to snuggle when he's going to bed, although he doesn't always like me to kiss him during the day now!

It's not all fun and games--he certainly has his moments (or even days) when he can drive us absolutely crazy. Granny & Papa continue to let him sleep over at their house every once in a while, and it's always a wonderful little vacation for me, even with Soren still at home. Will continues to be the high maintenance child, even compared to infant. He goes to bed between 7-8 (with me laying down with him until he's asleep), generally wakes up several times during the night, and wakes up, saying, "Let's git-up, git-up, git-up" anywhere from 5:30-6:30. Since Soren is something of a night owl, often not wanting to go to sleep till after 11, and still wakes up himself, that doesn't leave a lot of sleep time for mama. I am certainly looking forward to the day when Will sleeps by himself and through the night!

All in all, he's a fun, entertaining, and sweet little boy, though, and I am thoroughly enjoying watching the little person he develops into.

No comments:

Post a Comment