Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Soren's Suspender Shorts

Crawling in the Suspender Shorts


The pattern for Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy's Sewing for Boys Sewalong this month was Mimi's Little Suspender Shorts. I was pretty skeptical of this one at first; I cut it out as soon as the announcement was made and let it sit for the entire month. Since this pattern went down to 12-18 mo and since it seems more babyish to me, I decided to try and make it for Soren, even though it's the next size up from what he's wearing in RTW clothing.

I used a cute seersucker made even cuter by the fact that I got about 3 yards of it for $3 at the thrift store (score!). It's the same fabric I used for their Mother's Day Tie Shirts. I did the facings and the back of the pocket in a blue linen for contrast. I am getting a lot of mileage out of that linen--it's leftover from a long yardage I bought on clearance at JoAnn's to make ring slings with. I got two ring-slings and a child's sling out of it and still have about half the width by 2 yards!

Suspender Shorts

Contrast Buttons & Facings

This pattern went together really quickly. I challenged myself to not take the easy way out and serge the edges but to use the "smooth finish" technique on the back/font seams. Other than some burned fingers, it was pretty painless, just took a bit longer, and I do appreciate the nice looking finish on the inside.

I had no major screw ups for this project, although I realized when applying my snaps (more on that in a minute), my front facing never got stitched down. I'll have to go back and read and see where I missed the instructions for that! I did have a problem with my machine: I was unable to get it to make a buttonhole on the shorts. I did several trial ones on the same fabric. Changed out needles. Read and re-read my buttonholing directions. Read the instructions for how to open up the machine as much as possible and clean it out. I think maybe the interfacing plus two layers of fabric was just too much for my machine to handle. Plus, my machine is definitely overdue for a tuneup. In any case, I decided I had to go to Plan B if I were going to get the shorts done in time to enter the sewalong since we're about to go out of town. So I used snaps instead of buttons. However, I bought cute yellow buttons especially to use on this project, and I really thought it needed the pop of color, so I went ahead and attached the buttons on top of the snaps as decoration. I also preferred the look of just the one button instead of two on each side, so left the extra decorative buttons off.

It was kind of difficult trying to measure where to add the snaps since my target is such a wiggle worm, but hopefully this placement works. These shorts fit surprisingly well on a 7 month old, although he is super-long, so I'm sure that helps.

Front of Suspender Shorts
Back/Top View of Suspender Shorts
Suspender Shorts from the side

When I was trying these on Soren, Will said, "Get my clothes off him!" and I said, "These aren't yours Will, they are for Soren." He thought about that a minute, and then said, "Well, then make ME some!" I'm not sure whether to be pleased that he is requesting homemade clothes from me or sad at yet another moment of sibling jealousy. :- )

We had to take pics at Granny and Papa's house as we were going out of town and I just barely finished them in time!

Back of Suspender Shorts

Adorable baby is adorable
Adorable baby is adorable.

A kitty!
Look a the kitty, mom!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is adorable! I love the orange (?) buttons - they really pop against the light blue. I'm working on these, but probably won't get them done by the sew-along deadline, sadly. I had been planning to do them in seersucker as well, and yours are so adorable I'm feeling good about that decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Seriously adorable. I had similar problems with making the button holes and was figuring it was because I left out the interfacing. I think the snaps work great for the little ones who squirm so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny you were attributing buttonhole problems to no interfacing and I was blaming mine on the interfacing :-). I decided the snaps were more practical anyway and will be easy to add another row for to add some extra length.

      Delete
  3. Wow, these are great! And what a cute model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... that is adorable!!! Seriously cute! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! And yay for thrift store fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable!!! PS - the outfit and the model!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!This is awesome,you have great talent!I would love to try something like this.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great outfit. Your boy is very cute. Would love for you to share this cheery "welcome, summertime" outfit at Monday Mom Musings today.
    jellibeanjournals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete