Monday, June 4, 2012

Shorts of May

Will is sadly lacking in the shorts department in size 3T. My buying ahead at garage sales and end-of-season sales seems to have slowed down drastically at 2s. Now that I know how easy it is to make a pair of shorts (and how much fabric I have waiting to be used!), I feel like I should make instead of buy them. Anyhoo, in May, I made six pairs.

In addition to the purple plaid refashion shorts, I made two pairs of upcycled shorts from the Made pattern.This orange pair is from a well-loved shirt of Bil's that ripped up one side. The fabric is so soft! It's definitely not bottomweight fabric, so I don't know that the shorts will last through the summer, but oh well. They were just headed for the garbage otherwise!

Shorts of May
I don't know why I can't get that silly front waistband to lay straight. No matter what I do or fabric I use, I get gathers/wrinkles in my front waistband on this pattern. 

I love the contrast stitching on these. I think it makes the shorts! So glad I got brave enough to try it.
Shorts of May

Next upcycle: these shorts were from a hideous, long denim jumper I got for 99 cents at the thrift store. I realized that although those things are ugly and completely out of style, they make a GREAT source of useable denim! I still have enough to do at least another pair of shorts.

Shorts of May

These are a direct rip-off of Swhin & Shwin's tutorial for embellishing boy shorts.

 Shorts of May
See more contrast stitching? And the orange shirt makes another appearance in the pocket linings & tab.

Shauna made the welt-pocket look so easy I felt like I could give it a try. I made mine a little bit too tall (I thought I wanted a LOT of orange showing), but it's ok, and now I need never fear the welt pocket again!

Shorts of May

Shorts of May
Close-up of the front tab. The two buttons on these shorts were also harvested from that orange shirt. You can't see it here, but they are a really nice (and perfectly matched!) pale orange button with a scroll pattern.

Also from the Made pattern was this seersucker pair to match Will's tie shirt:

Shorts of May

Although I love the Made shorts, I would like to find something a bit looser (and quicker) to make really roomy play shorts, so I decided to try Bobby's Bathers from Sewing for Boys as a shorts pattern.

Shorts of May

The blue plaid was my first attempt, and I added the patch pockets too high so they look pretty silly. I only added one to the madras pair, but it's in a better place. I added a faux fly to both of these, but you can't really see it because of the pattern (wasted effort, I guess). This is definitely a baggier pattern, but also much quicker to sew up.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!Awesome!I would love to try something like this for little son.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So CUTE!!!! It's so hard to find cute things to make for boys!

    ReplyDelete