Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Crazy Pants (Or, Ugly Little Heartbreaker Pants)

Will models the crazy pants
He's got the modeling stuff down if he feels like it!

The pattern for Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy's Sewing for Boys Sewalong this month was the Little Heartbreaker Pants. Which I really liked the first time I made them. And I would have been excited about it this time, but I've been out of town/had guests/had sick kids this entire month so I haven't had time to think about the project at all. In fact, I thought I might just cheat and see if I could enter the pair I made at Easter.

I decided yesterday I needed to just bite the bullet and make another pair. So this is my entry. I have major doubts about these because of the print, but I am showing them anyway.

Crazy Pants collage

Since I already had the pattern pieces from before, the project actually didn't take long to make. It was maybe a couple of solid hours from cutting to finish? Probably less if I hadn't had the 50-million mommy interruptions one has when sewing with little ones around.

At the garage sales last week, I snagged several pairs of jeans and cords for Will to wear this fall/winter, so I didn't want to do another pair of neutrals that he didn't need.  I am also in major need of using up the yards of fabric and thrifted fabrics I have accumulated, so........I reached for this crazy-loud monster/alien novelty corduroy that I bought last winter from Hancock's. I'm not sure what I was planning to do with it. And I for sure wasn't sure how the pants would look in this fabric (or how ANYthing would look in it!). I'm still not sure I like them, but Bil thinks they're cute, and Will seems to like them well enough. They are certainly different, that's for sure!

I kind of forgot to add an alteration to the pants until I had already put them together, so I decided to add a faux back pocket flap since it'd be easy to stick on. You know a print is super-loud when you use a spot of bright orange fabric to "tone it down"!

Back of crazy pants

I actually don't think I screwed up anything in making these except for not getting my cuff up quite high enough when stitching it down so that about a 1/2" of the seam stitching underneath is showing in a spot. As usual, I was too lazy to rip it out and figure it's such a busy print anyone's eyes will be blinded before they'd notice that little bit of stitching showing through. I guess I should consider myself lucky I just don't care about the small stuff so that I can get on to the next project--at least that's how I'm choosing to look at my laziness!

Crazy Pants

Do I want to do this?

I love Will's modeling shots. I couldn't believe he actually wore these and let me take pictures. He has not felt well today and was in a terrible mood most of the day. It was good to see his cute side for a few minutes. He doesn't have a top that matches these crazy pants, so I just put him in a raglan tee I made him last winter. 

Soren swings
Bonus cute baby picture!

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE the fabric! (My little man agrees.) That's the kind of fabric I like for kids' clothes... And the raglan T fits, doesn't it? (Well I guess you can wear anything solid with these ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thing about a bright, busy print is that almost anything solid goes. I think these came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Good to know I can let him wear them in public ;-)

    ReplyDelete