Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sewing for Me!

I actually sewed something for myself! I saw this "3-seam caftan tutorial" on Simple Simon & Co and thought it looked like a great project for me--super easy.

Caftan Dress

I picked up some $2.50/yard knit fabric from Walmart and tried it out. I was really pleased with it! Except for dealing with that slippery jersey, it was as easy as advertised. I did add a piece of binding to the neckline as it was curling and the fabric has a definite back/front, so it took slightly more time, but this whole project was less than an hour. I plan to make some more in other fabrics, and I'm trying to figure out how to add something to the front to make it a nursing dress.

Something I'll remember for next time though--wash and dry my fabric more than once. I only prewashed and dried once, and this dress shrunk up a good 3-4 inches on the next wash/dry! No one wants a maxi above the ankle! I may have to cut it off at the knee.

3 comments:

  1. Gina,

    It looks so cute!

    PS I am actually working on one that be open in the front (a v-neck one)...it's coming along. Hopefully the tutorial will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look stunning in it! I'm going to have to make some too!

    ReplyDelete