Saturday, August 18, 2012

Starting Over

This week I had a full schedule of meetings and work needing done at school, so the boys started daycare on Monday. Soren started back with the same lady who kept him last year, and then he'll move over to CRBD with Will after Labor Day. We are thrilled to have secured him a spot there finally. Some people wait a year or more before getting in.

It was a tough week, to put it mildly. After the end of last week (which I still need to write up and post--it must go down in the repository), Soren wasn't feeling good when he started daycare, still very rashy and uncomfortable, so I'm sure that didn't help, but I think he pretty much cried the whole day. It got worse and worse at drop off as he realized what was happening after the first day. Lisa said she was finally able to put him down and he'd play for a little bit on Friday. As he has started doing "better" with her, though, he's been worse at home the last couple of nights. He goes to sleep ok, but then wakes up around 2:30 and just wants to nurse all.night.long. He usually does wake up sometime in there, but he just nurses and goes right back to sleep, no fuss, no muss. What he's done the last couple of days is nursing and tossing and turning from 2:30-6:30 or so. It's awful. He wakes up completely and fusses, disturbing everyone else, and he wallows on me constantly, meaning I can't get to sleep since he wakes me every minutes. I am hoping whatever is going on passes very quickly. This is what Will was like, and I just don't think I can handle that level of sleep deprivation again. I hope this isn't his version of reverse cycling and the new normal. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment period thing... I am trying to meditate on this Honest Toddler blog post, remembering how scary and lonely it must be for a baby who is just starting to realize that he (and I) is an individual.

Will has done OK with going back to school. He was so excited on the first day, he barely even said goodbye. He was just super-excited to be getting to see his friends, especially Mataysia and his teachers from last year. They are all his "best friends," of course. Reality started setting in on Tuesday, and he clung to me and had to be peeled off and begged to "stay home with you, Mama." Very sad. I know he's in good hands and does enjoy himself. It helps assuage my guilt to pick him up in the afternoon and see how much fun he's having. Unlike Soren, who has still been screaming when I pick him up. :-(

I had to attend a school function for the incoming students and their parents on Friday night, and the results were pretty terrible at home. Soren went to sleep soon after I left, but woke up after not-very-long and then screamed for the next couple of hours. I guess he finally gave up and quieted down just a little while before I got there. Everyone was quiet happy to see me. I'm glad I have the day off to spend time with them today. Sunday is going to involve more separation, though. Ugh.

I surely do home this stage passes quickly. Going back is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment