Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Pauley's Pullover for Soren

Soren in SFB Pullover

Here is my entry for September's Sewing for Boys Sewalong at Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy. Thankfully this pattern was super-duper easy since we've been busy and sick, sick, sick. Bil is suffering from the virus I had last week, and poor Will has strep throat again. When he's really sick, he gets cuddly and sweet, but when he's just feeling bad, he gets grumpy and mean, but is just as wild as ever. Unfortunately we've been in the latter phase for the last couple of days. Soren had a terrible week , too, but on Thursday, I finally saw the cause--his fourth tooth on the bottom is now showing. He seems to have gotten some relief since it cut through; at least, he has been able to sleep without nursing the entire night the last couple of nights. Thank GOODNESS for that, says this tired mama.

Anyway, back to the pattern--super easy. 4 pieces. Nothing complicated at all. Well, I guess there is a buttonhole, but since I skipped that, it didn't bother me any!

The pattern recommends French terry, so I decided to use a maternity jogging suit that I've had in the upcycle pile for a while. It's a L, and I never get big enough when I'm pregnant to fill out a baggy, shapeless large; plus, Bil thinks any hoodie or pants made from cotton velour looks like a mobster's wife's outfit (thanks, Sopranos!), so he would have mocked me mercilessly had I tried to wear it myself.

Soren in SFB Pullover

I wanted to utilize the pockets that were already on the hoodie, so I cut off the zipper (a nice metal one, for future use) and sewed the two front pieces together.  So I've got what appears to be a front seam going down the shirt, but I think it's ok. The pockets are cute. They would have been more practical for something for Will, but maybe Soren will start using pockets before he outgrows the pullover (I made the 12-18 mos size).

Soren in SFB Pullover
Staged pocket usage. 

Soren in SFB Pullover
Modeling is vry srz bznz, y'all.

I had a bit of trouble with the V-neck binding (for which I utilized the hoodie's ribbed hem band)--one side didn't quite get captured underneath the other side. Not quite sure how to explain. It was a stupid mistake, and I even ripped out seams and tried again and still didn't get it, so I gave up and said "good enough." Totally my fault and not the pattern's.

My other alteration was skipping the drawstring. With my pockets on the front, I would have been making buttonholes through 2 fluffy layers instead of one and just didn't want to hassle with it. Instead, I added a hem band made from the leftover fabric of the hoodie's original hem band. I didn't have quite enough to use its full width (4 inches, so 2 inches folded), so I had a band of only 1" when finished. It would have looked better bigger, but c'est la vie when you're upcycling (and you're too busy/lazy to take the time to hunt around for coordinating fabric). I think following the directions would have resulted in a really short garment, though, as it's not very long as it is. It's a bit baggy on Soren, but more width than length-wise. As all the patterns in this book, it definitely runs short and wide. It is perfect for layering, though.

Soren in SFB Pullover
Hem band visible here. Also a Yossie photobomb--he wants to know why he never gets to be in pictures anymore.

It's still much too hot here for long-sleeves and layers, but Soren has been wearing this happily all day in the house. The pattern is cute, fast, and produces a very wearable results.   

Soren in SFB Pullover
Look out--teething drool!

Soren in SFB Pullover
He loves to climb up in his camp chair and look in the kitchen window.

2 comments:

  1. I love how it turned out Gina! The velour was a perfect fabric choice and I really like how the kangaroo pocket looks. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post! kids are really look so cute in pullover hoodies and other winter outerwear!

    ReplyDelete