Saturday, October 20, 2012

New Jammies for Everyone!

New jammies


This month the Sewing for Boys sewalong pattern is the Goodnight, Sweetheart PJs. The pattern is really cute, and we can always use another pair of pajamas. Unfortunately, the pattern only goes down to a size 3/4T, so I couldn't make them for Soren who is the child in dire need of pajamas. I just unpacked the 18 mo clothes, and he has tons of everything--except pajamas. There are several pairs of footie pajamas but only a couple pair of long-but-not-winter pajamas. I guess when Will was in 18 mo clothing, we were able to let him wear the same pair more than one night. Not Soren! His are almost always dirty by the morning. 

Anyway, so I set about to make Will the PJs. I wanted to use some flannel I bought back in March when JoAnns had a big sale. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time how MUCH flannel a full set of PJs would require, so I ended up with not quite enough. I decided I'd just do the arms in a contrasting fabric (I asked Will, and of course it had to be red), so I ran out and got some from Hobby Lobby. Because I just barely had enough of the weenie dog fabric to get everything but the arms, I couldn't cut both legs at once. And, can you guess what I did? Yep, as usual, I forgot to flip the pattern piece over when I cut the second one, so when I went to sew it up, I discovered I had two right legs. ARRGH! Did I mention I was already short on fabric??? I didn't fret about it long, but did the only sensible thing and went for the harlequin look, with one leg in the red contrast. Fortunately, I'd gone ahead and gotten a whole yard of it, just in case, so I had just enough. I added a pocket in weenie dog fabric to the red leg, hoping to make it look more integrated and intentional.

New jammies

I also used vintage brown bias tape I had on hand. It was more than twice the size the pattern called for, so I cut it in half, but it was still bigger than it should have been. Having it in the right size would have looked better.

Despite all the errors and fabric problems, I thought these actually came out pretty cute, and they fit Will well, especially if he has his giant night diaper on. If I were in the same boat again, though, I think I'd have cut the yoke or back facing--whatever it was called--out of the red too in order to bring the red around to the back.

New jammies

All in all, the pattern was very nice, directions clear and simple. This one was rated intermediate, but either I'm improving or it might be a touch easier than other intermediate projects. Maybe it's just all downhill after the Henry Shirt

Since Soren was the one who ACTUALLY needed pajamas, I whipped him up a pair using the Envelope Tee pattern from Growing Up Sew Liberated (also used for his birthday shirt) and Little Comet Tails Crescent Moon Yoga Pants.

 New jammies

New jammies

 The pants are meant to be made of more substantial fabric, so I'm going to have to go back and open the waistband and insert some elastic--the stretchy jersey isn't enough to hold these up, especially when they are a bit too big anyway. The fabric for this set of jammies was leftover from my second Renfrew Tee, which I LOVE. Now I understand why everyone's so obsessed with that pattern! Maybe I'll get some pictures of it up soon.

New jammies
Right now these bottoms give us an excuse to sing, "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground..."

1 comment:

  1. I think both sets came out wonderfully and honestly, it you hadn't said anything, I'd never have know you hadn't designed the pants to be two-faced. And I LOVE the weenie dogs! Great work!

    ReplyDelete