Sunday, November 4, 2012

More Treasure Pocket Pants

More TPPs
Will is in need of pants (and long-sleeved shirts). Apparently my garage-sale shopping sort of petered out in the winter 3T department. Last week, I scored a really nice cut of linen (about 2 yards) from the thrift store. I think it was .75 cents--what a deal! I decided they would make a cute pair of little Treasure Pocket Pants for Will, and I could use the scraps leftover from his construction fabric used in the Luka Hoodie.

More TPPs

Despite screwing up almost everything possible after the main part of the pants were constructed (had to rip the waistband off not once but TWICE!!!), these went together pretty quickly as usual. I don't know why I had such trouble since I've made these twice before....just not paying enough attention, I guess.

The only thing tripping me up on these is the hem bands. When I made these the first time, I did not use the hem band pattern piece as I utilized an existing hem for the bottom of the pants. When I made Soren's pair in 18-mo size, the hem band came out WAAAAY smaller than the pants leg, causing me to take major tucks to get it together. This time, I measured the pants leg before cutting out, and my measurement was over an inch larger than the pattern piece! I cut according to my measurements and it came out just about right. I haven't heard other people mentioning the hem facing being too big, so I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is! Anyway, since I used my own measurements this time, it came out fine.

More TPPs

As opposed to other versions of these I've made, I did the waistband in the main fabric rather than contrast, and I like it! It looks slightly more dressy that way, I think (as dressy as you can be with heavy construction equipment on your pants, I guess).

More TPPs

It was very warm here today (thanks, Oklahoma weather!), so I was doing good to get Will to model these at all and didn't press my luck with asking him to put on a shirt (or better yet, his Luka hoodie, which cordinates!). Crazy that he was playing outside without clothes on November 4th!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Nice work. I've been wanting to make a pair of these (my boy needs to grow a bit first). I'll be keeping a heads up when cutting out the hem band. Thanks for the tip! I've found a minor error in a pattern from Sewing for Boys before, so you may not have been doing anything wrong. Love those pants!

    ReplyDelete