Sunday, January 27, 2013
2-in-1 Jacket: Review
The Froggy Coat
I am going ahead and blogging this even though it's not quite finished. My buttonholer is absolutely refusing to make even one buttonhole on this, let alone 5, so my new plan is try get some heavy duty snaps, but that's going to require a trip to the store or maybe even some online shopping, and the deadline for the sewalong is in a few days.
Pockets! This red was really hard to photograph.
Pattern: Unlike the robe, there were no issues with the pattern pieces in this one, except for pocket placement. Thankfully, I looked at a couple of tutorials dealing with the welt pocket, and they noted that the pocket placement was going to be wrong if you were doing anything but the biggest size, so I used their notes for moving mine over. I think I it about 2.5" from the edge, which was just about perfect. One of my pocket linings was pretty close to getting in my seam allowance, though, so I had to trim it down and then shove it out of the way when I was sewing the front together.
You can see the pockets here
Instructions: I thought the instructions were pretty straightforward. The welt pocket is the only tricky part of this pattern, and I don't know if I didn't do it right or what, but it seemed pretty easy to me? Ha ha--I kind of assume I'm doing some wrong if other people are saying it might be difficult, and I didn't find it to be that bad.
Fit: Definitely big and wide. I didn't want to go with the 2/3 since I was really thinking of this more as being a coat for next year, but it's really too big to look at all fitted this year. It's not just really wide on him, but the shoulders are falling off. I would certainly expect a 5 in RTW to do the same thing, though, so I don't think it's that off. The length on this was pretty decent, although it would probably be fairly short if he were 5!
All in all, I definitely recommend this pattern. It was quick to sew up, and if my buttonholer would cooperate, it would have been done in a very reasonable 2-4 hours (it's really hard to gauge total time when I only get to work in 5-45 min spurts).
Sweetened up with his bribery candy. You can see a little bit of his ninja costume he's sporting underneath this. I don't know how anyone ever gets their kids to cooperate with styled action shots.
My construction details: Will has plenty of jackets in his current size, so I was mainly making this to complete the sewalong and as a trial run for a nice one (maybe in wool?) for next year. Therefore, I only wanted to use stash fabrics (free!). I am still kicking myself for spending about $25 on the robe in November. :-( Looking for something that might be appropriate, I turned up this red/black plaid flannel and some navy blue corduroy. No, they do not coordinate. I decided not to care. I don't have time to go to the fabric store, and I didn't want to spend even 40%-off price on something that matched. Of course, Will chose the flannel for the outside since it's red. I told him he'd look just like Froggy from the Froggy book series, and so the Froggy coat was born.
I was looking for something warmer than just two layers of fabric, so I interlined it with leftover flannel from the ill-fated Jedi robe.
This was my first attempt at matching plaids, and it went, well, not particularly well. It took me forever to get the pieces cut out, between reading tutorials on how to match patterns and fiddling with the pieces. Then, because I was looking at the interlined sides when I was stitching it up, I completely forgot I was supposed to be matching plaids and didn't remember till I had already inserted both arms and checked to see how it had turned out. Apparently I did well cutting on one side, as it matched perfectly, even doing it blind, the other side is off by a good 1/4". I thiiiiink I fouled up in trying to cut 2 layers at once, and I'm not sure the plaid was actually straight to start with. Grr.... I briefly considered ripping out the arm and the side seam and trying to work it so it would mostly match, but, being me, I of course quickly decided not to.
I barely have the time to get anything sewn, let alone done correctly! I was reading an old blog post on the Coletterie where Sarai was talking about sewing being an art, and meditative, etc, and we should take the time to do it correctly and fix mistakes. Clearly, she has never tried to sew with two high-needs kids under 4 before. Sometimes when I'm sewing, I literally have Will sitting on my shoulders or climbing me like some kind of spider monkey, and I'm snatching all manner of pointy, sharp objects from Soren and his long monkey arms. I do everything as pedal-the-metal-fast as possible and consider it good-enough if it's just complete. Maybe someday I'll have time for contemplative, enjoy-the-process sewing, but not any time soon, I fear. /grumpy-mom-rant.
I asked Will to stand by Soren so I could get a picture of them together. He very deliberately positioned himself in front of his brother and then cheesed for the camera.
Brothers, in a rare non-forced picture. I got them both to smile and was a hair too late in taking the pic to capture it. Sigh.
Bonus baby cuteness!