Cutting took forever, but I think there's no way around that since there are a ton of little pieces. However, it would have been nice to have included the shapes in the pattern rather than just giving dimensions, so people wouldn't have to do as much measuring. Once I had cut out my first batch of pieces, I just used them as templates for the next batch. When I got finished cutting out, I was in shock at how much fabric I had left! Almost 1/2 yard of each of my two main fabrics! You can definitely safely purchase 1/3 of yard less than called for at minimum. If you're not doing any fussy cutting, you could go even less than that. Interfacing just needs a small scrap--the only two peices you'll cut from it are 4.5x3" and 2x2".
Then I started sewing and the problems with the pattern instructions started showing up. The first problem was in Step #7. The instructions say to sew down the elastic at 5.5" below the top right corner. When the crayon roll is complete and the button sewn on, this will result in the elastic being below the button by about 1", which makes the crayon roll hang all whoppy-jawed, as my mother would say. I played around with a piece of paper and think changing the original measurement to be 4.5" from the top right would correct this.
Check out that funky-hanging crayon roll.
I also was not able to get as many crayon holder-slots out of the fabric as I was supposed to (I assume sloppy seam allowances caused this, but the measurements could have been off here too--who knows; I didn't go back and do the maths on this issue in my post-mortem). Since the author then would give directions based on the number of crayon slots, I had to eyeball it when deciding where to fold and sew down my crayon roll. Actual measurements from the edges would have been much more helpful than "from the fourth crayon slot...."
The second problem was in Step # 14, where the instructions say to put the contrast and main fabrics right sides together. Doing this will result in the right side of the contrast fabric stitched down out of sight against the satchel, with the wrong side visible inside the marker pouch. I believe it should be wrong side of contrast to right side of main fabric. Too bad I didn't realize this till mine was already hemmed backwards. Grrrr!