Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Outfits for All (Almost)

brothers

I managed to make both of the boys and myself new outfits for Easter this year! The boys' were stashbusters (at least partly). The seersucker I used for theirs was from a yardage I got at the thrift store back in December, so it counts toward the stashbusting challenge. I did have to purchase the navy blue knit in order to make shirts. Oops.

For Will, I made the TNT Little Heartbreaker Pants from Sewing for Boys. I used the same 2/3 size but added length because he is FINALLY starting to get too long-legged for their 3T size (now that he's almost 4!).

Will's Easter Outfit

I didn't want to worry about all that stripes matching nonsense, so I cut the waistband, pocket backs, and cuffs on the bias. A subtle effect, but nice.

Will's Easter Outfit 2013

For Soren, I didn't have a TNT pants pattern, and I thought I'd do something a little more babyish for him (since I can, for a few more months, call him a baby!). I decided to face down the terror of the Ottobre pattern sheets, and selected the "Back to the '70s" Overalls from the Spring 2012 issue. I know I should have measured him to find out what size to cut, but, let's just say measuring a squalling, uncooperative child is not my idea of a good time, so I used the size conversion chart here, and according to it, a 2T is an 86 cm. Well, 2Ts are still big on Soren with plenty of growing room, so I was very surprised when I put this on him, and it BARELY fit. I mean, barely. If he grows any which way, up or out, it's not going on.

Soren's Easter Outfit

This was only my second attempt at an Otto, and I probably should have picked something that didn't involve a zipper, since the directions are minimal, but I finally got through it. I actually woke up in the middle of the night and figured out what I was supposed to be doing on the zipper placket (I had stitched it down incorrectly the first time and knew something was wrong, but not what).

Soren's Easter Outfit 2013

As everyone always says about Ottobre, it was nicely drafted and went together very well, and I am really pleased with the final product. I also did all bias-cut details for this one.

 Soren's Easter Outfit

Soren's Easter Outfit

Unfortunately, as we were getting Soren dressed, one of his giant hobbit feet got stuck crosswise in the pants, and instead of backing his foot out to turn it vertical, Bil just yanked on the pants, and the side seam ripped open down near the bottom. Wail! Ah well, I will cut them off into shortalls, which will be more practical for the spring/summer anyway.

I made both boys navy T-shirts with reverse applique animals on them. Will picked a monkey for his, and I picked a hedgehog for Soren. I LOVE the hedgehog. They both turned out really cute, though. I used the SFB Raglan T pattern (of course!). I used the same size (2/3) for both boys. I wasn't sure how it would be on Soren, but it turned out OK. A bit long, but it gives him some growing room.

As I was making them, my serger broke a needle and then I couldn't get it working right, so I had to finish them up on my mom's machine, and consequently, they only got serged without the final topstitching or hemming. Hopefully I'll get around to it..... We'll see! I also didn't get pictures of the shirts by themselves, and after a day of hard play, they are filthy. Maybe after the wash. I must show off the hedgehog at some point.

I'll save my Chantilly dress for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment