Sunday, January 19, 2014

Portlandia Lady Skater

Portlandia Lady Skater

I see my last post was April 20 of last year--about one week before we had a fire in our home, which originated in my sewing room. Eek! My trusty (and actually much beloved) Black and Decker electronic iron with auto-shut off was plugged in as I almost always left it (yes, I think I learned my lesson), and it came on and overheated. This means that the auto-off failed as well as the overheat-protection. The insurance company is currently still in litigation with the company that actually produces the iron--turns out B&D just sells their name for the product, and someone else is really manufacturing it.

Anyway, thanks to what was really a very small, very contained fire in the far back room, the house was completely coated in smoke and the entire inside had to be repainted and its contents packed out and cleaned and the fire room completely rebuilt from the studs. I had no idea how destructive fire is.

The result of it all is that we were in a hotel for a month and then a very tiny rental house for 5 months. Both of our dogs died during the transition, and there was a lot of upheaval for all of us, but especially the kids, who lost most of their toys (everything that was not a stuffed animal, basically).

My sewing machine and serger were destroyed, but I replaced them as soon as we got into the rent house, and I actually made quite a few things over the summer. I just couldn't get up the oomph to try and photograph and blog them.

Just before Christmas, we got moved into what is (hopefully) our forever house. We are finally semi-rural as we have wanted all along. Lots of room for the boys to play.

To celebrate all these good changes, I made myself a Lady Skater with birds! And I ordered extra fabric so I could make the boys matching shirts. Double Triple yah!

Portlandia Lady Skater

The pattern sewed up just as quick and easy as all the press I read promised. However, I have a couple notes. I sewed it up according to my measurements, and I found it quite tight. I wear my clothes pretty tight normally, so I was a bit shocked at how fitted this one was. I'm not sure if my knit wasn't as stretchy as the pattern is made for or if I just need to go up a size. The Girl Charlee fabric I used had a bit of stretch, but not tons. Also, reading that the dress was meant to hit at the knee on the designer who is 5'5," I did a pre-emptive shorterning on the skirt. I took about 1.5" out of it. Well, the result is too short! I don't think I can wear it without tights. I was really surprised since I'm not even quite 5'4." It probably would have been perfect or even a bit on the short side already if I'd just left it alone.

Portlandia Lady Skater

Portlandia Lady Skater

The boys shirts are the Sewing for Boys raglan T, my TNT shirt pattern. I have been adding cuffs to it lately when I'm going for a more finished look, and I quite like them. I basically just cut the collar twice and then chop one of those collar pieces in half and use those as cuffs.

I'm not sure if I'll get anything else sewed up this month, so I'm going to count this as my Small Scraps entry for January's Stashbusting Challenge. The boys' shirt sleeves/collars were made from about 1/3 a yard of interlock. And then the the bird fabric would have entered the stash as a scrap if I hadn't busted it right away. I can count that, right? ;-)

Next up is to make another Lady Skater in mustache fabric. My sister liked the bird Lady Skater enough that she requested her own version for Christmas.

Portlandia Lady Skater

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your fire. Glad to hear every one was safe and you got everything fixed well. Happy to have you back this year. I love your first projects! It's so neat to find a way for Mothers and sons to find a way to match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric, and cute shirts for your boys. Glad to hear it's all worked out after the fire and you are sewing again.

    ReplyDelete