Saturday, February 15, 2014

"What Does the Fox Say" Outfits



 What does the fox say outfits

For the Sew in Tune series, by Melly Sews and Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy I pondered quite a bit over what to make that the boys would like and would be interesting conceptually. Then Soren got sick, and then he got the flu, then I got sick, Will got sick, Bil got sick, it snowed and iced and was 20 degrees for a week, and Will got sick again. At some point in the midst of the never-ending sickness and the polar vortex, I realized that I had a couple yards of fox fabric from Girl Charlee and the boys love “What Does the Fox Say,” so…. an easy outfit was born. 

What does the fox say outfits
Will's doing one of his fox "moves."

What does the fox say outfits
Soren's fox move

I actually bought Rae’s Skinny Flashback T to use to make these as I did not have any contrast fabric to use in my usual Sewing for Boys Raglan T, but then I had printer issues at home (and I was stuck at home due to the aforementioned sickness/weather), so I ended up purchasing some cream-colored interlock to use for contrast after all and went with my T(andTTTTT)NT SFB raglan.
I thought it was kind of too easy and on-the-nose to just use fox fabric, so after some more thought, I decided I could add a bit of extra connection to the song by adding the boys’ names to their shirts—in Morse code. Because everybody knows when a fox meets a ho-o-o-o-rse, he probably communicates with it in Mo-o-o-o-rse.

What does the fox say outfits
Love Will's semi-duck face in this one!

What does the fox say outfits
 Soren's favorite "fox" move.
 
I think they turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

I also sewed up both boys Skinny Jeans from Peek-a-Boo Patterns. I got this pattern in a big multipack back in the fall, and I’m so glad. I don’t know that I would have bought a skinny jean pattern on its own, since skinny jeans don’t just scream “boy.” BUT, I think they look so adorable, especially on Will. They are much more flattering to his slight build than baggier pants.
After I finished the first pair, Soren tried to claim them for himself, and I thought, “huh, those don’t actually fit too badly.” In the size 4T! He has an extremely high rise and still wears a bulky cloth diaper, so after studying the 2 and 4T patterns against each other, I decided if the 4T fit well, there was no way the 2 would, so I just shortened the 4T and sewed it up for him (I didn’t have to trace out the 2T—laziness FTW!). I did do buttonhole elastic on Soren’s since I figure he’s most likely to change shape  before he outgrows them lengthwise. 

What does the fox say outfits
I took my time and did contrast stitching.

What does the fox say outfits
You can see front and back here.

What does the fox say outfits
This one was too hilarious not to include.

I really like this pattern—everything fits together really well, and the writer includes good instructions. I will say that I have yet to get the waistband correct. I have this issue where I start out reading the instructions, then get to the faux fly, where I start getting confused and questioning why the pattern is written as it is and just say, “Well, I already know how to do this, I’ll do it my old way,” only to discover when I go to attach the waistband that the weird faux fly instructions had a purpose. The waistband on these is supposed to actually overlap and have a button. In the 3 times I’ve made these, I haven’t succeeded in accomplishing that. Like I said, it’s probably me and my lack of reading comprehension, but I have found that bit confusing. Now here’s hoping that Will’s pair lasts longer than 3 wears before he destroys the knees. Four was the magic year for him to start with the holey knees. 

What does the fox say outfits
Just for cuteness!

What does the fox say outfits
I asked them to give each other a hug, and this is what happened. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the morse code names on the sleeves! Genius! Tremendous work here, Gina. I am in awe. I would totally wear that shirt, and the jeans look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I had a lot of fun with this one.

      Delete