Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fourth (of July) Moneta

Apparently I just can't stop....I made a fourth Moneta. I wanted to try out the other collars, what can I say?

4th of July Moneta

Girl Charlee is having a 4th of July contest, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have already been envying all the cute nautical fabrics and garments people have been sewing up the last couple years, so I'm joining the herd (late as usual).

4th of July Moneta

There's really not much left to say about this pattern. The tie collar went together quite easily. It calls for interfacing, but I did not since I was using ponte knit so it was pretty firm to begin with.

4th of July Moneta
I adore the back of this dress!

4th of July Moneta
This picture just cracks me up. I was making a face at Soren, who was "helping" take pictures.

I would recommend using serger thread that matches your collar, as the the serging will show just a tad underneath the tie collar (where the gap is in the front). I used white, so it's pretty visible. I think I'm going to sharpie the threads in the front to make them blend a bit more.

Also, the jersey I made this with (Girl Charlee Anchors Away) wasn't particularly stretchy, and holy moly, I could tell it when I put it on. I am POURED in the top of this, and my rolls are visible in the back, so I may be giving it to my sister if I can't loose some weight soon. Apparently I need to size up to the large when using less-stretchy fabric.

In addition to the dress, I made the boys matching tanks using Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee and trimming the arms down a bit to make it more tanky.

4th of July Outfits

4th of July Outfits
As you can see,the troops were not feeling particularly cooperative for this photoshoot.

4th of July Outfits
The promise of M&Ms in "just a minute" has lost its appeal.

4th of July Outfits
And Mama smiles wistfully as she dreams of running off to join the circus


I was thinking I'd just use the same dimensions as the collar binding and bind the armholes, then I decided that 1" was too wide to look good, so I cut them in half, which then left me with too narrow a strip to do my usual double-up and serge on. So, I applied it like bias binding on the front, turned it to the back and stitched it down, leaving the edge of the binding raw. I assume being knit it's not going anywhere. I kind of like the look of the skinny binding--almost like piping!

4th of July Flashback Skinny Tee

4th of July Flashback Skinny Tee

Brothers
Brotherly Love (or, "Make This One Good, and It'll Be the Last One!")

2 comments:

  1. Love your dress and the new style collar. At least you can get your kids to stand in front of a camera. Mine start to leap about as soon as I get it out!

    ReplyDelete