Friday, July 25, 2014

Comino Cap Top (Because I Am the Most Boring Seamstress Ever)

Comino Cap Shirt & Iris Shorts
Sorry about the, uh, interesting faces. I was having a migraine and not feeling taking pictures. I should probably have edited my face out, but I just can't be bothered.

What can I say? When I find a pattern I like, I like to make it a lot. :D Also, it was still sitting on the table all traced out and stuff. Also also, I really enjoy instant gratification projects, which is what this dress/top definitely is.

I had about 1 yard of the bird fabric left, so I decided to try out the shirt version of the Comino Cap with it. I figure I probably won't be wearing it and the dress to the same places, so hopefully it won't be too repetitive in my wardrobe. I did think using the sweatheart bodice might be a little too similar, though, so I laid the bodice pieces together and cut the front as all one piece.

Comino Cap Shirt & Iris Shorts

I don't know if I screwed something up or if it's the pattern, but my front is definitely longer than the back. I thought maybe it was extra space left for boobs when I noticed the extra length hanging (after I had already hemmed it, of course), but it did not get taken up when I put it on, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Comino Cap Shirt & Iris Shorts
Love that pop of color in back!

Comino Cap Shirt & Iris Shorts
Obviously I could use a swayback adjustment, but I don't have to look at the back, so I'm not sure I can bring myself to care. Also, helloooo, sunburn!

For the sake of a photoshoot twofer, I paired this with my new pair of Colette Iris shorts. I made a couple pairs of these two summers ago, and wear them regularly. I (think?) sized up to a 12 this time and added 2" in length because these are super-short, at least to me. I skipped the pockets since, while cleverly placed, they are pretty much useless as they create a weird lump on your front if you put anything in them, and you definitely wouldn't just rest your hands there. I topstiched down the seams to make mimic flat-felling.  The linen was from the thrift store, and I still have about a billion yards. Or at least 4. I don't know what I'll do with it. It's a pretty terrible color for me since it's so close to my skin-tone. Many some bags or home dec projects?

4 comments:

  1. That's a good idea to leave the pockets out, I thought they looked kind of cute in the pattern picture, but we pretty useless and bulky. Super cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The Iris pockets are cute, just impractical for me, at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your top, and those shorts are a perfect fit!
    Did you remove the seam allowances from the sweetheart bodice piece? Just thinking that could account for the front being longer than the back - not that it's noticeable in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, but I very definitely remember overlapping the two peices. And the thing is, I didn't have a problem matching my side seams--it was the middle that was longer--it was almost like a reverse hi-LO hem. I should lay out my peices and see if I can see from that if I made a tracing error or something.

      Delete