Monday, August 4, 2014

Aztec-Inspired Colette Myrtle

Myrtle, attempt 1

Because nothing says Greecian goddess like an Aztec-inspired print, right? Hahahaha.


Myrtle, attempt 1

Myrtle, attempt 1

I kind of don't know what I was thinking. Well, except being desperate to get 3 yards of something. I liked this print, though I need to learn to pay better attention to the scale information. Because holy-huge-print, Batman! I was envisioning this as being much smaller scale. I also ordered some bicycle print and was shocked at the huge print scale. Eeek! (Both fabrics from Girl Charlee.)

Myrtle, attempt 1

Sadly I didn't bust much stash on this. I did make a muslin with some smoke-stained knit, so I guess that was a bit of busting. I don't know what other people do for their knit muslins--it's so rare I actually come across knits for really cheap I am loathe to actually use any of it for muslins unless it's truly, truly hideous.

Myrtle, attempt 1
Hmmm, I hope the construction crew across the street is focused on their work.....

I decided I needed to do a real non-hopefully-wearable muslin since the first Myrtle makers popping up were complaining of too much ease in the pattern and super-deep cowls, etc. My muslin showed that it fit me pretty well--maybe because I was really straddling the line between medium and large in my measurements and going with the medium erased the ease?

Anyway, once I made my muslin, I decided I'd double the back bodice so it could be lined too and avoid having to do the turn-and-hem on the back neckline and armholes. I simply serged the back neckline and back armscythes with right sides together, leaving the shoulders alone, so that they could be sewn per the instructions, and then just treated it as one piece. Unfortunately I decided to double-needle around the back neckline and armholes, even though it was unnecessary, and it stretched out my neckline horribly. Grrrrr..... I tried steaming and drying it, but that didn't do the trick, so I had to take two darts of about 3/4" each to fix it. I didn't have that issue at all with my muslin, so I really think it was the fabric stretching and not the pattern in this case.

Myrtle, attempt 1
Gaping mostly fixed. Sigh.

Otherwise, this went together really easily. I meant to totally make Version 2, including the tabs, but then I forgot about them when I started assembling. Oops. Version 2 is short, y'all. I thought I'd save myself some fabric by cutting the shorter length to start with since I usually end up shortening Colette dresses a couple inches. Mistake! I had a to take the tiniest of hems possible on this (I considered just doing a rolled hem, but I knew with how awful this fabric acted it would be lettuce-edged which I didn't want). I don't think I can wear it to work it's so short. Maybe in the fall with leggings and a jacket?

Myrtle, attempt 1
SO short!

I'm not sure I'm sold on the cased elastic/blousing as being a falttering look--at least not on me. It could be being made worse by the fabric, which is really quite beefy and not super-drapey as far as stretchy knits go. I do think it looks better unbelted, unlike the Moneta.

Myrtle, attempt 1

Myrtle, attempt 1
I do kind of like the blousing in the back. Maybe it's just under-boob blousing I dislike?

Some folks also mentioned being unhappy with the armholes on this one. I actually really liked the armholes on this one (as opposed to Moneta which has major gape issues in the sleeveless edition), and I don't mind the wider shoulders. I kind of find it balancing?

Myrtle, attempt 1
My armholes were perfect for me. 

I also saw several folks talking about the cowl being too deep, which would have been an issue in my muslin knit, but in this beefy bad  boy, the cowl just kind of stays in place, so it's actually not flashy unless I bend COMPLETELY over, and if I did that, everyone would see up the super-short backside, so....I'd be having other problems if that were to occur. LOL

Myrtle, attempt 1
No boobs!

Overall.......I'm kind of "meh." I'm sure I'll make another (or two!) because it is a SUPER fast pattern, once I could wrap my mind around what we were doing with the casing, but I'm not sure I love it. Maybe I should stop snapping up the Colette knits since I keep not really loving them on me? Mabye stick with the Lady Skaters and Comino Cap, which I think are much more flattering for me.

Bonus kid pic. Look what Will can do.
Spiderpig

10 comments:

  1. Holy moly - how did your kid get up there? That's... terrifying!
    You are making mew realise that I must have only seen the long version pop up on blogs... bc that IS quite short! Cute short, but in a more casual way. You are working the print - looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just climbed the door frame. He's quite the spider monkey! I agree that everyone else must have sewn up the "long" version--I didn't realize that was just the normal Colette length!

      Delete
  2. I like the print! I think it looks great I on you but I can see how the length might be an issue with kiddos to chase around (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--it's definitely too short for kid wrangling!

      Delete
  3. Just curious, how tall are you? I'm quite petite and was thinking that the short version would be the right length on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a hair shy of 5'4"--so not tall! I would definitely suggest measuring the skirt first; I sure wish I had!

      Delete
  4. Oh what a cute print - the short length keeps it from being overwhelming. The dress is adorable on you!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the print on you - it's summery and I think it goes well with the short length, and it will look great with leggings too. I am happy to hear that you had gape issues with the sleeveless Moneta too (it's not just me). I just finished my sleeveless version last night and it's super gape-y at the armholes, and my sleeved version is perfect (what up with that?). I have the Myrtle pattern, but after hearing people's reviews, I am kind of meh about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people have had problems with Moneta gaping at the arm holes. I read somewhere that armscythes should be shaped differently for sleeveless versus sleeved, but the Moneta doesn't provide a different shape, so I'm guessing that's what causes the problem. It's frustrating! If they're going to advertise that as a whole separate "version," they should do the extra drafting to make it work properly instead of relying on people at home to fiddle with it. I actually really like the shape of the armhole on the Myrtle, but I don't think it would work to simply transfer it to the Moneta since there's all the draping business going on in the Myrtle.

      Delete