Saturday, September 6, 2014
Foxy Trifecta Top
I wanted to try the Trifecta Top since Kitschy Coo released it back during the winter, but held off till she had a coupon at the time of the Comino Cap Dress release. I love PDF patterns and the possibility for instant gratification--only problem is they aren't really very instant except in terms of getting the files. I printed this off this summer, but didn't get around to the job of taping it up until the holiday weekend.
That took a couple of hours, then I cut my fabric at a different time, and then I sewed it up one day when I was home early one after this week due to sick kids. The actual sewing took less time than cutting and taping the pattern. The pattern went together really well. I believe I glanced at the "bad*ss" directions a couple of times, but having made approximately one million raglans for the boys, I didn't need any help there and just followed my usual order of construction.
This fox fabric (from Girl Charlee, left over from the boys' "What Does the Fox Say?" shirts) doesn't have much stretch to it, so I moved the front piece over about 1/4" from the fold to cut. I made no changes for the back. I think it worked ok.
I used a ribbing for all the bands, and I did find I needed to trim it down a bit. I wish I'd trimmed down the armbands, because they could definitely stand to be tighter. I got the neck just about perfect, but only after trimming it down a couple of different times (probably 1" total?). Since I had actually added 1/2" to the width of the front bodice, I will definitely plan to cut the neckband a bit shorter in the future if using rib knit.
Other than the one change above, I made up a straight 5, high-scoop (the default), cap-sleeve option, and cut it at band-length.
Obviously I could use a swayback adjustment. But, lazy. And hmm, now that I look at the back more closely, it looks pretty baggy under the arms. I wonder if I should try cutting the back bodice a bit smaller? I have wondered before if I might have a smaller back than my front size. I really need to do a good measurement taking some time!
Also, I think it would have looked better not doing the band on this, or if doing a band, not using a contrast or at least not contrast ribbing. I did have some plain black knit, but I was afraid it would fade at a different rate from my ribbing and look weird, so I just went with ribbing.
But now I have another matching shirt with my boys! Woo-hoo! More fodder for their therapy someday. :)
In sum, this Kitschy Coo pattern is another winner for me. It's nicely fitted with a clear curve for the waist, rather than being unfitted and loose. I love all the options for necklines, sleeves, and hem, and the opportunity to play with colorblocking that's built into the pattern. All of these details and the fact that it's a raglan mean you can use up those annoying knit scraps that are too big to throw away but too small to make even a shirt from. A great basic pattern, and I suspect I shall have many more of them!
Will was being a bit of a pill during my horrible photoshoot. My concession photo of him.