Sunday, September 7, 2014

Myrtle 2.0--Much Better!

Myrtle 2.0

So my first Myrtle was pretty much a failure. I wanted to try it again, but didn't have any fabric on-hand that seemed just right. As Mrytle 1.0 made clear, appropriate fabric is definitely a must for this pattern. In fact, I had gotten distracted by other things after my initial fail--I have a half-finished Crepe in the works and then Deer & Doe released the Bruyere Shirt, and I ended up buying it AND the Reglisse Dress and the Belladone, so my last week has been spent day-dreaming about those.

Myrtle 2.0

But, I managed to run by the thrift store last week, and there I found a nice yardage of jersey that I thought was just about the perfect weight and drape for the Myrtle (also some shot cotton that's going to become my Bruyere, once it arrives in my hot little hands!). Yesterday I went on a mad hunt through all my various sewing-stash places and couldn't find my traced out pattern. I had finally given up and was looking for a kid's pattern when I turned it up in the binder where I keep my traced out PDF-pattern pieces. It would save me so much time if I would just follow the organizational schemes I set up--some day I'll learn.

So, after a couple of hours spent cleaning/searching for the pattern yesterday, I was able to cut this out this morning (no church due to Will having strep throat--boo!). I remembered to add 3" to the skirt since the "short" version turned out to be much too short for my liking. 

This one went together really easily having already done it once. Again, I opted to line the back bodice so I wouldn't have to fool with hemming the arm and neckholes and risk stretching them out. I also remembered to do the shoulder tabs this time, which added a significant amount of time. Anytime I use my buttonholer, I can count on it taking at least 30 minutes, it seems. It always does my sample perfectly and then ruins at least one of my real ones. Sigh.

Myrtle 2.0

Aside from lining the back, I followed all the directions. I really like how the bodice comes together and you end up with everything nicely contained between layers. I also like how the waistband ends up all contained. The construction isn't difficult, but it is clever.

Myrtle 2.0

Speaking of the back, I did not try to double-needle along the back neckline this time, and either that and/or having a suitable fabric made the back on this one nicely drapey rather than stand-off gapey like version 1.

Myrtle 2.0

Myrtle 2.0

Anyway, this one turned out MUCH better than the last one. I'm actually pretty happy with it! I was thinking it would look great with copper or rose-gold accents, so I chose a antique-gold button out of random ones I got at a garage sale this summer.

Myrtle 2.0


Unfortunately, I don't have jewelry in those colors, so nothing to style it with at this time. I really like it with the gold belt, though I'd like to get one that fits a bit better. This one is on the biggest setting and just barely goes around my elastic middle.

Myrtle 2.0
Not overly flashy, IMO

Myrtle 2.0

Myrtle 2.0

In all, I now think this is a pretty flattering dress, and I am still pondering what woven to make it up in. It's definitely nice to have a silhouette that's different.

Myrtle 2.0


These were my little photobombers throughout this photo shoot. Can you tell Will is a king? Some of the adults in the house think he might look a little more hobbit-y than kingly. ;-)

Myrtle 2.0

1 comment:

  1. I love it with the gold belt! It looks great on you! Glad you got the issues figured out.

    ReplyDelete