Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Owl Hat

Owl hat

I needed a quick gift and decided on the Who? pattern by Penguin Purls. I used a mystery yarn that I think came from the thrift store; I think it might be acrylic, but it was the right color and looked to be the right weight.

I think it turned out super cute! I got off in my decrease count and had to rip back to the ribbing, but it was a very easy knit. I'm pretty sure it just took one day. The hardest part was deciding what to do about the eyes. I decided to go for subtle, and just did beads for one owl. I'm really pleased with it, and I will definitely be making this one again!

Owl hat
Top--decreases done correctly!

Owl hat
Modeled by Soren (adult sized).

Monday, July 13, 2015

Reglisse dress, take 2.

Reglisse Dress

I wanted something quick and cute to dip my toes back into the sewing water, so I decided to make another D&D Reglisse dress with some cute fabric I had either thrifted or gotten from a garage sale sometime last year. I thought it was really cute with streaks of several different colors through a light gray.

Reglisse dress
Close-up to show fabric

I had hoped to self-line the skirt since the fabric is quite sheer, and I had a lot of the fabric, but it turned out to be about 1.5" too short to cut the skirt peices on the fold (as called for), so then I didn't have nearly as much large space as I had intended. That's also why I have a seam down the front and back of the skirt.

I guess it's ok I couldn't line it since a floaty circle-skirt isn't safe to wear in Oklahoma.

Reglisse Dress
Great flare!

I should have remembered to go back and check my notes from the first time I made this. It's soooo short waisted! After I finished it, my mom pointed out that the darts were completely on top of my boobs. Oops. Maybe next time I'll fix it? (Who am I kidding, probably not.) Also, in the picture below, it looks like my bra is showing, but it's the SA flipping up in the armpit. It's pretty thick, and I did give it a thorough pressing, so I think I may have to tack it down.

Reglisse Dress
Those darts--hahahahaha!

My stash of bias tape really suffered in the fire, and I haven't yet built it back up to its former proportions. So, I didn't have any tape that would be enough to do the hem and the neckline. I finally realized no one would see the neckline, so I could use what I wanted.

I ended up using an electric blue for that and a yellow for the hemline. They were perfect matches to the colors shot through the fabric.

Reglisse dress

Reglisse Dress
Yellow surprise!
Reglisse Dress

The boys had to photobomb of course

Reglisse Dress
Incidentally, Will is wearing mama-made shark pajamas from Christmas.

Reglisse Dress
And Soren is wearing mama-made shorts from last summer. 

Friday, July 10, 2015

Sew Liberated Gathering Apron: A Review



I fell in love with Sew Liberated's Gathering Apron the minute I saw it. I don't know if it's because I I aspire to having chickens or what, but I think it's really sweet. So even though I rarely remember to use one of the aprons I already have, after the fire, I decided to treat myself to the pattern during one of her sales, and then didn't make it for a year.

I finally got it out last year and did a test run with some quilting fabric. I wasn't too happy with how it came out. The prints were busy, so all the cute details (that took FOREVER to make) were lost. Also, I hated the process of making it, and it took about 10 times longer than I had planned for it to.

So I needed a gift for a swap this month and decided I could make up the Gathering Apron again, this time using a dark blue linen (I think--it's very soft, but looks and feels like linen to me otherwise) that I had thrifted at some point.

Gathering Apron

Gathering Apron
Got one of my straps twisted and didn't know. Oops!

I think it came out pretty cute, although the dark blue still obscures some of the detailing, but it's much better than the print version.

On the second run, I can officially say I just hate making this pattern. It's so extremely fiddly. The directions themselves are good, but as I'm going through, I keep thinking, "There has GOT to be an easier way to do this...." for basically every single step. And there are a lot of steps. The end product is nice, with all enclosed seams, etc, but.... it's a lot of work to get there, and I'm just not sure an apron warrants all of that.

Closeup Rightside:
Gathering Apron

Closeup Wrongside:
Gathering Apron

The pattern is well put together, and the parts fit together. The directions make sense, though sometimes I had to read steps a couple times and minor directions (like to press) are left out. There is a video tutorial that I used last year to understand what was happening with the gussett. So, the pattern and instructions work, just be prepared to futz with it for hours. :)

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hiatus: I've been knitting!

In October, I decided I was finally going to conquer knitting. I had made several attempts before over the years, but it just never took. I decided rather than working on something that I didn't really need or care about (dishcloth, scarf), I just needed to jump in and take on a garment. So an internet friend walked me through choosing a pattern (Wonderful Wallaby Sweater) and what needles and yarn to buy, and then I made it! It actually was much easier for me than knitting a scarf since it was almost all stockinette in the round. I finished it at Thanksgiving, and then made a second one for Will in time for Christmas, then made another one for Soren, and I've been in a knitting frenzy since then.

It's such a nice, portable little hobby, unlike sewing! However, I think it's definitely cut into my sewing mojo, as I have spent all my mental energy on knitting, reading about knitting, and planning future projects.

Diagonal lace socks

Torrent socks

Untitled

Braiding Sweetgrass socks in KP Hawthorne kettle-dyed

These are all from May and June!