Friday, July 10, 2015

Sew Liberated Gathering Apron: A Review



I fell in love with Sew Liberated's Gathering Apron the minute I saw it. I don't know if it's because I I aspire to having chickens or what, but I think it's really sweet. So even though I rarely remember to use one of the aprons I already have, after the fire, I decided to treat myself to the pattern during one of her sales, and then didn't make it for a year.

I finally got it out last year and did a test run with some quilting fabric. I wasn't too happy with how it came out. The prints were busy, so all the cute details (that took FOREVER to make) were lost. Also, I hated the process of making it, and it took about 10 times longer than I had planned for it to.

So I needed a gift for a swap this month and decided I could make up the Gathering Apron again, this time using a dark blue linen (I think--it's very soft, but looks and feels like linen to me otherwise) that I had thrifted at some point.

Gathering Apron

Gathering Apron
Got one of my straps twisted and didn't know. Oops!

I think it came out pretty cute, although the dark blue still obscures some of the detailing, but it's much better than the print version.

On the second run, I can officially say I just hate making this pattern. It's so extremely fiddly. The directions themselves are good, but as I'm going through, I keep thinking, "There has GOT to be an easier way to do this...." for basically every single step. And there are a lot of steps. The end product is nice, with all enclosed seams, etc, but.... it's a lot of work to get there, and I'm just not sure an apron warrants all of that.

Closeup Rightside:
Gathering Apron

Closeup Wrongside:
Gathering Apron

The pattern is well put together, and the parts fit together. The directions make sense, though sometimes I had to read steps a couple times and minor directions (like to press) are left out. There is a video tutorial that I used last year to understand what was happening with the gussett. So, the pattern and instructions work, just be prepared to futz with it for hours. :)

1 comment: